Santa visits the Freeman Store!

Date: December 13 and 14
Time:
1:30-3:30 PM
Location: 
The Freeman Store and Museum

In addition to officially opening the holiday season in Vienna with his arrival at the Church Street Stroll on Dec. 1st, Santa Claus and his elves will welcome visitors to the Freeman Store at 131 Church Street, NE, Vienna, on Saturday Dec. 13 and Sunday Dec. 14, 2014, from 1:30 to 3:30 pm each day.

Parents often comment that this is the perfect “Santa Experience,” low-key, no-hassle, non-commercial and fun for all ages.  Santa’s special chair is positioned next to the gorgeous Historic Vienna tree in the upstairs parlor of the Freeman Store.

Santa is a master at calming the jitters of first-time visitors and welcomes the many annual returnees with his best “ho-ho-ho.”  Children who may be a bit nervous are encouraged to sit and watch for awhile – and most end up enthusiastically telling Santa their Christmas wishes!

Free and open to the public, no reservations, the perfect setting, the jolliest Santa, the very best photo opportunity – we have it all!

Questions? Call (703) 938-5187.

Fall Membership Meeting: George Washington & the Title Controversy of 1789 – EVENT COMPLETE!

The Fall Membership Meeting of Historic Vienna, Inc., will be held on Thursday, November 6 at 7:30 pm in the Council Chamber of Vienna’s Town Hall, 127 Center Street South. There will be a brief business meeting, during which elections will be held for Board of Directors positions.  The meeting is free and open to the public.  Refreshments will be served.

Our speaker for the evening will be Kathleen Bartoloni-Tuazon, who will discuss her newest book, “For Fear Of An Elective King: George Washington and the Presidential Title Controversy of 1789.”  In a day when harsh and even ugly rhetoric clashes with effusive, over-the-top praise in our daily political dialogue, it is somewhat strange to think that in the early days of our country, the Senate and House debated how to address the new President, considering over thirty titles.  What could easily be dismissed as a minor etiquette issue had far-reaching implications as the new Republic struggled with how to implement the details of the Constitution, the role of everyday people and Washington’s own deep understanding of the implications of the chosen title.  Not so simple a question as at first glance!

Dr. Bartoloni-Tuazon is a Visiting Scholar at the First Federal Congress Project and has extensively researched the Early National Period in American history. Her lecture is a must for students and for lovers of history.

Join us for Church Street Stroll!

Date: December 1
Time: 6:00-9:00 PM
Location: Church Street

Program of Events:
Church Street closes at 5:45
Santa arrives at 6:15
Santa and Mayor light the tree at 6:20

Music at the Showmobile Stage:

  • Wolftrap Elementary Singers
  • Louise Archer Elementary Singers
  • Green Hedges School Jazz Ensemble
  • Emmanuel Lutheran Church Revelation Ensemble
  • Fairfax Jubilaires
  • Vienna Community Band
  • Strolling
  • Vienna Falls Chorus of Sweet Adelines

Historic Structures will be open:

  • Freeman Store and Museum
  • Little Library
  • Caboose
  • Train Station
  • Knights of Columbus (formerly First Baptist)
  • Vienna Presbyterian’s Old Chapel

Other drop-in activities:

  • CHO Canned Food Collection (No expired food, please! Boxes Located by the Freeman Store Porch)
  • Supervised bonfires with marshmallows for roasting
  • Hot chocolate
  • Petting zoo

Co-Sponsors
Historic Vienna, Inc.
Merchants of Church Street
Town of Vienna Department of Parks & Recreation

Questions? Call us at (703) 938-5187!

Unveiling & Dedication Ceremony At The Little Free Library! EVENT COMPLETE!

Green Hedges School, Historic Vienna Inc., The Friends of Patrick Henry Library and the Town of Vienna are excited to unveil the Little Free Library at the Little Library of Vienna and dedicate it to the memory of Jane Seeman.

 

Tuesday September 23, 2014 at 4:30 PM in front of the Little Library of Vienna, 131 Church Street NE, Vienna VA 22180.

 

Flyer for event:

Little Free Library Announcement Flyer 3

 

Entertainment by students from Green Hedges School, Thoreau Middle School and Madison High School

 

Meet the Cat in the Hat and visit the children’s crafts table

 

Refreshments courtesy of Whole Foods and Café Amouri

 

Call 703-938-0405 for more information

 

In the event of rain the dedication will take place at Patrick Henry Library, 101 Maple Ave. East in Vienna

 

*What is a Little Free Library? It is a “take a book, return a book” gathering place where neighbors share their favorite literature and stories. In its most basic form, a Little Free Library is a box full of books where anyone may stop by and pick up a book (or two) and bring back another book to share. Read more at

http://littlefreelibrary.org/

 

EVENT COMPLETE!! Flint Hill Cemetery Tour by Historian Jim Lewis

Time: 10:00 AM
Date: Saturday, September 13

Location: Flint Hill Cemetery in Oakton

Local historian Jim Lewis will lead a tour of historic Flint Hill Cemetery in Oakton on Saturday, September 13 at 10 am.  He will share interesting aspects of the cemetery, including  stories of prominent Vienna residents and some of the 27 Civil War era military veterans, 4 of them Mosby’s Rangers, who are interred there.  Sponsored by Historic Vienna, Inc., free and open to the public, no reservations required.  Meet at Flint Hill Cemetery at the corner of Chain Bridge Road (Route 123) and Courthouse Road, next to the Church of the Brethren.  For information call 703 994 9054.

Free Private Tours of the Freeman Store and Museum

Historic Vienna, Inc. would like to remind Scout leaders, organizers of school field trips, and program/activity chairs of any group that we offer tours of the historic Freeman Store, customized to the age, size and interests of the tour group.  Our docents use anecdotes and objects from HVI’s collections to make the history of Vienna and the Freeman Store  come alive. 

The free tours are by appointment only, open to any group.  For more information, call Mike Cheselka at (703) 483-0369, or call the Freeman Store at (703) 938-9157!

Old-Fashioned Summer Fun For Kids!

Date and Time: July 26 at 2:00 PM and August 2 at 4:00 PM
Location:
The Freeman Store and Museum

Historic Vienna, Inc. is offering  “Old Fashioned Summer Fun For Kids” on the side lawn of the Freeman Store, 131 Church Street NE on Saturday, July 26 at 2 pm and Saturday, August 2 at 4 pm.  Children and parents are invited to play old-time games. learn some crafts, listen to a storyteller and make and enjoy hand-cranked ice cream.  Free and open to the public, reservations encouraged. 

For more information, call (703) 938-5187. 

 

 

Event Complete – thanks to all participants! Country Store Exhibit at the Freeman Store and Museum

Historic Vienna, Inc. The History of the Country/General Store museum exhibit wrapped up in December of 2015.  Please come to our Farming and Agriculture exhibit which will open in early March 2016.  

The exhibit utilized artifacts, period apparel, tools, posters and other materials and told the story of local general stores which often served as grocery, post office, voting precinct, pharmacy, feed and grain supplier, hardware store, as well as filling a role as community centers.

We had many visitors who enjoyed this exhibit from the USA: Florida, Connecticut, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Illinois, Maryland, Oregon, Texas, Arizona, Kentucky, North Carolina, Idaho, California, and Washington, DC. Visitors from other countries include folks from Ireland, England, Brasil, Syria, France, Peru, Kurdistan, Turkey, India, Russia and Wales.

Historic Vienna, Inc. would like to thank Silva’s Patisserie for their generous sponsorship of the exhibit and gratefully acknowledged the donations of Whole Food Market, Caffe Amouri, Giant Food.  Lastly, the exhibit would not have been possible without the contributions of many individuals who loaned artifacts and antiques from their personal collections.  We thank them one and all!

Details from Country Store brochure by Jon Vrana:

The store that you are visiting dates back to pre-Civil War days when Abraham and Susan Lydecker moved down to Fairfax County, Virginia from New Jersey. The Lydeckers built a store in Ayr Hill, alongside the newly constructed tracks of the Alexandria, Loudoun, and Hampshire Railroad (AL&H RR). The AL&H RR, one of four railroads that originated in Alexandria, Virginia, began con-struction in the 1855, ran through the Vienna area, and eventually reached out to western Virginia. The Lydecker Store sat beside the tracks and was within easy walking distance of the Ayr Hill (now Vienna) Station.

Abraham Lydecker purchased a small tract of land from Peter Hen-drick, a tract ideally situated for a country store to serve the local com-munity.

General stores, from their first days, served the local community in a number of ways. Stores of-fered groceries, dry goods, hardware, feed and seed, and general merchandise, as well as provided postal services and as a community center, where news was shared and relationships were built. In some instances, storekeepers grew into greater positions, such as Senator Justin Morrill (R-VT) and Congressman (later President) Abraham Lin-coln (R-IL).

The overall appearance of the Lydecker Store has changed relatively little over the years. It was built originally as a two-story clapboard structure. A two-story extension to the left side of the building was added to serve as a hotel. Eventually, it was sepa-rated from the main building and moved across the street as a separate residence.

What is a Country Store?

Country stores were used for a variety of uses, including a general mercantile store, grocery store, dry goods store, seed and feed store, hardware store, pharmacy, post office community center, and polling station. For small communities with few businesses, the country store served most nec-essary functions that could not be provided directly on the farm.

Post Office

Country stores served a number of functions for local people. One of those functions was as a post office. Prior to the coming of the rural routes and home delivery of mail, mail was delivered to and picked up from local country stores. Often the mail would arrive on the train and be distributed to the public, in some locations, at the country store and, other locations, at the local train station. Josiah Bow-man served, twice, as postmaster and Henry S. Van Wickle served once.

The Local Grocery Store

In the heydays of the country store in Fairfax County, in the 19th century, much of the food consumed by families was grown or raised on the farm. Most families in Fair-fax County had small acreag-es on which they grew vege-table gardens and raised milk cows, from which they produced their own butter. Many farm families grew wheat and Indian corn and carried these crops down to the local grist mills to be ground for flour and meal. Milk cows provided fresh milk, chickens provided fresh eggs, and beef cattle and chickens provided meat. Fruits and vegetables were grown and canned in Ball and Mason jars. How-ever, you could not grow or raise everything and you could not can everything. Folks came to the local country store to buy those grocery store items that they could not produce themselves.

General Mercantile

Country stores sold a variety of general merchandise that ranged from pots and pans to horse shoes and horse collars, dresses and coats to shoes and socks, marbles and jacks to pencils and school books. Almost anything that a person could think of having, the county store had it or could order it through the cata-logue. Stores rarely had a lot of any one thing, but had a little of a lot of different things.

A Place to Vote

Not necessarily a common thing across country stores, Lydecker’s Store was used in the 1860s as a place to vote. On May 23, 1861, a vote was held, at the request of the Commonwealth’s Leg-islature, to determine support for the Ordinance of Secession.

Dry Goods

Country stores sold ready to wear men’s, wom-en’s, and children’s clothes; suits, pants, shirts, and overcoats were available in a variety of men’s and boy’s sizes. At Freeman’s Store, at the turn of the century, Anderson Freeman, Abra-ham Lydecker’s son-in-law, announced in a Fair-fax Herald advertisement, (above) the opening of a new department in his store, a full line of men’s and boy’s clothing, with a man’s “all wool suit in all sizes at this writing only $5.98.” In another Fairfax Herald advertisement, Leon Freeman, made readers aware of assorted dry goods for sale, including notions, groceries, and shoes.

The Pharmacy

Many country stores sold a wide assortment of patient medicines, ones that guaranteed to cure headaches, toothaches, baldness, issues of the bowel, and forgetfulness.

Feed and Seed Store

While you could almost always buy the feed for your hogs, cattle, and horses, it was a special time of the year, in the spring, when the store seemed to be overtaken by muslin and burlap bags of seeds and bags and boxes of vegetable and flower gardens. Large bushel baskets of seed potatoes and onion sets were sent on the floor along one side of the store. Often bags of feed and seed “spilled” out of the store and were kept on the front porch for easy access.

Hardware Store

Country folks of the 19th and early 20th centuries constructed and repaired many of their own tools. However, there were major farm im-plements, such as wood-beamed and steel-beamed plows, that they purchased, often on credit.

Making Purchases

Goods at the store could be purchased by cash, credit, or barter.

Farmers depended on credit until their crops were harvested and sold at the end of each sea-son. The storekeeper kept accounts in a ledger.

If farmers had no cash and credit was not extended, they depended on trading (barter) chickens, eggs, and other agri-cultural prod-ucts for store goods.

The Owners

The Lydecker, and later the Freeman, Store was built in 1858 by Abraham and Susan Lydecker. The Lydeckers moved down from New Jersey and built their store and home, immediately adjacent to the newly constructed Alexandria, Loudoun, and Hampshire Railroad, and near the Ayr Hill Station. The location that they chose was selected with an eye on being able to receive goods easily by rail and being close to the Station where locals would visit, on a “trip to town” to meet visitors at the Station or pick up packages of items ordered from “Sears, Roebuck and Co.”

Abraham (Abram) Lydecker was the first store-keeper of the Lydecker Store. Typical of the store-keepers of those days, he owned and operated the store on the first floor and lived, with his family, on the second floor. Coincidently, with the establish-ment of Lydecker’s Store, Abraham Lydecker ap-plied for and received a permit from the County for a “House of Public Entertainment.” In Fairfax County, a house of public entertainment served food and drink and was required to provide lodg-ing for both person and their horse.

Anderson Freeman married the Lydecker’s daugh-ter and began clerking at the store. In 1874, Ander-son Freeman took over the business. From that point on, the store was known, not as Lydecker’s Store, but as Freeman’s Store.

In 1893, Anderson Freeman’s son, Leon L. Free-man, became a partner in the store and in 1908, Leon moved back from Washington, D.C. to run the store. In 1929, the year of the Stock Market crash, Leon began an insurance company at the Freeman’s Store.

Leon‘s oldest daughter Dorothy and her husband, Lauris Sherburne, remained in the house and oper-ated their insurance business from it until the mid-1950s.

Dorothy Freeman Sherburne, the daughter of Leon Freeman, sold the Freeman Store to the Town of Vienna in 1969.

© Historic Vienna Inc. 2014. Written by Jon Vrana.